Thursday 4 August 2016

'Time to Take Flight' at Stamps and Stencils

Hi everyone, well the last month certainly 'flew' by and now it's 'time' for our next challenge over at Stamps and Stencils....bit of a hint there...it's our DT lead Sue who is the host for this months challenge, here's what she has to say about it.

For this challenge I would like to see anything relating to flying, so this could be a bird or a butterfly or it could be an inspirational quote that includes words relating to flying ! As always, please remember we are a mixed media challenge and you must include either stamping or stenciling or both !


I've chosen to make a fabric page this month which will eventually form part of a fabric book. I first made one a few years ago on a wonderful Artsycrafts weekend which was a weekend workshop run by PaperArtsy....of which I have very fond memories. Although the base is fabric, this would work just as well on a canvas.

In looking around for inspiration, I was thinking about insects and came across a metal bee embellishment similar to one I'd used in my original fabric book. I thought it would be good to create another book and start by creating a fabric page....although in the end I didn't use the metal bee.


The Tim Holtz dragonfly was cut from some alcohol inked deli paper (from my Yupo post) which had been glued on to a music sheet.


The base was some green fabric and I stencilled the numbers with French Roast fresco paint. The Chapel Road bee stamp is stamped onto a gorgeous rust colured piece of silk and the lace was coloured with Infusions mixed with gum arabic to make it fast.


I then played around with the placement and decided I would stencil some Finnabair 3D transparent gel mixed with pear blossom primary elements onto the background. I then started to secure most of the elements in place by stitching.


A few microbeads and touch of treasure gold enhances the embossed dragonfly.


A little key and some stitching


Where would I be without buttons and lace...


To finish the edges of the cream canvas were zigzagged stitched.


Lots of things take flight, pop across to be inspired by my wonderful teamies creations and join in with our challenge!

Thanks so much for stopping by. Ruth x

12 comments:

  1. How beautiful this is Ruth! Adore the rust and green together and the flying elements to your piece. Lovely additions of lace and buttons to bring the whole piece together. Love it!

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really beautiful Ruth! What a fantastic fabric work! The layers blend beautifully but each stand on their own. The stitching is the icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Ruth, what a special, and SOOOO beautiful "page" you created. It is an amazing piece, I can`t take my eyes away from it. The way you give each piece, its own place, and almost framing them, the stunning dragonfly, so gorgeous against the stamped green leaves in the background,and with the "netting" under--- and the wonderful bee, also "framed ".The adds of fabric panels ,buttons ,and stitching gives the final extra, to all the beauty, I already spoke of !!!
    Dorthe Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. aw Ruth - this is soooo amazing - I love all the fabric - stunningly gorgeous! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Ruth, what a stunning project this is! Amazing fabric layering and I love your stitching! That dragonfly is simply super cool and I love the addition of lace and buttons! Brilliant work! Big hugs! Branka xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is really a beauty, wow... I wish I could do that..

    Kind regards
    Mariane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruth, this is just beautiful!
    I so love the way you weave together your materials and colors! Your stitching holds everything together beautifully! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally delightful - you've incorporated everything I love into this beautiful piece!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely glorious, Ruth - the contrasting colours, the variety of textures in the fabrics and papers - beautiful winged things!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous Ruth ! Love the idea of using fabric and can't wait to see more pages for your fabric journal. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!! Amazing work of art!! I love the fabrics and stitching!
    Drea xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this Ruth! I'm very interested in the idea of a fabric book as I used to do some textiles work and am hoping to get back into it now that I should have a bit more time! A book would be a great starting point. I love the way you have stamped and stencilled your layers and added some 3D elements . The whole page is just gorgeous! Thank you for the inspiration Toni x

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to read any comments left, I really appreciate them all. Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by.