Thursday 1 September 2016

The Colours of Autumn at Stamps and Stencils

Hi everyone, time for our September challenge over at Stamps and Stencils and the year is certainly whizzing by. Rachel is our lovely host for this month and she has chosen a wonderful theme which is  'The Colours of Autumn'  Rachel wants to see reds, oranges, golds and browns in your mixed media creation and although at first I couldn't help but think falling autumn leaves I chose to go down a different route in my journal.


It started off very differently with some almost pinky purple areas of deli paper that I'd glued down. over some stencilling in my altered book. I haven't used my silk glazes for a while and I'm really trying to use stash up before I buy more....well I can try! I used this JOFY stencil with some autumnal rusty glazes but of course it doesn't dry very quickly so most of it got wiped away in the end and I still wasn't sure where I was going at this stage.


I added some stamping and stencilling, then some modelling and crackle paste and a wash of gesso. The flowers have disappeared but the layers are building nicely.


It was then a case of building detail on the pages with rusty washers, fabric, thread, stitching and micro beads


More beads, copper, doily and wax paper...all leftovers from previous projects, I love how in mixed media many random things can come together and look just right on a project with a little help from paint and sprays.


Joy seemed the right word as it gave me joy to make....loving all the crackle too.


Final close up, finished with a few ink splats


I do hope you'll be tempted to join in our challenge this month, there is more fabulous inspiration on our blog from the incredibly talented DT. Thanks so much for stopping by, I always appreciate it...and Happy Creating! Ruth x

12 comments:

  1. OMG, Ruth, this is absolutely beautiful! I love how you did your rich textured background, I love your fabric details, I love those fabulous rusted elements, I love everything about this fantastic art journal page! It's simply brilliantItBig hugs! Branka xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a stunning page Ruth! Loving all the layers. colours, texture and composition. Simply delicious!

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has so much to look at! So Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Breathtakingly stunning! Fabulous layers, colour and textures - which you always do so well! Jennie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow beautiful spread, love the details!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. stunningly beautiful pages Ruth - really very yummylicious indeed!!! Big hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous pages Ruth ! Love you you've built up the layers, perfect design as usual. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a fantastic outcome - love the process this page went through, it looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely amazing love all the textured and painted layers a fabulous result
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ruth gorgeous journal pages, love the texture and colours. Happy crafting, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ruth, this is my new favorite! I simply adore this amazing journal spread and your natural and rusty elements mixed with this awesome found photo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning layers and textures in the background, and your rusted metals, fabric, threads and beads make for beautiful, subtle embellishing. I just love this.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to read any comments left, I really appreciate them all. Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by.